How To Properly Care for Your Clear Aligners
We live in a world of innovative dental technology. No longer are the days where you have to have uncomfortable metal braces. People can now get straighter teeth more discreetly with clear aligners like Invisalign and Clear Correct. They allow people to straighten their teeth invisibly and, in some cases, in less time than with traditional orthodontics.
Clear aligners straighten you by wearing your clear trays for a few weeks before you move on to the next set. Even though you only wear a set of trays for a couple of weeks, it is still important that you take care of them.
Here are some tips for keeping your clear aligners clean:
- Always rinse your trays every time you take them out. This will prevent plaque and saliva from drying on the trays.
- You should never use toothpaste on your clear trays. Toothpaste can scratch the aligners and cause discoloration.
- Use a clear, antibacterial soap with a new soft-bristled toothbrush. Be sure to rinse with warm water to ensure the soap has been removed before placing the trays back in your mouth. And, you should brush your trays whenever you brush and floss. So, twice a day.
- To help prevent bacteria, use a special aligner cleaner or one part vinegar and one part water to soak your aligners once a day for about 30 minutes.
- Don’t eat or drink with your clear aligners in your mouth. Not only could they break if you eat with them, but food can get stuck between your teeth and the aligners. – Water is the only thing you should consume while you are wearing your aligners.